How to fix non responsive areas on a Surface Pro touch screen

I recently had a very strange issue with the touch screen on my Surface Pro 3 where some areas wouldn’t respond to touch but would work ok with the pen. At first I thought it was an issue running Windows Insider builds but after a bit of research it seems it’s down to a calibration issue.

On my Surface the lower 3rd of the touch screen worked ok but most of the time the upper section didn’t respond. I found a thread on Reddit where users had a similar problem and managed to fix it via a driver/calibration tool from N-TRig (the makers of the touch screen).

The fix

The tool can be found at http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=SVF15N190X&upd_id=9338&os_group_id=27

Once downloaded run the file and select the folder you want it to place the utility.

UPDATE: November 2018: The Sony link no longer works but this link will download a tool to fix it

Then navigate to that folder and run the file CalibG4.exe. Leave the tool to run and don’t touch the screen during the process, after it completes and exits the touch screen will be fixed.

This worked for me and hopefully it will be able to help other people.

About the author Ian Dixon:
Ian Dixon is a Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional), founder of TheDigitalLifestyle.com tech site and producer of the weekly The Digital Lifestyle Show podcast. Ian has been writing and talking about Windows for over 10 years and has over 20 years in IT as an IT Manager. Ian has thousands of followers on Twitter and Facebook and over 4 million views on his YouTube channel.

21 thoughts on “How to fix non responsive areas on a Surface Pro touch screen”

1. Mike Kidder says:

Wow! That worked for me. Noticed the dead zones sometime after the Windows 10 Creators Update.
    Touch is fully functional again.

2. Arleen says:

This is great! It worked for my Surface Pro 3 on Windows 10! Thanks so much!

3. Maira says:

hi..this didn’t solve my problem.. my areas still are non responsive.. Microsoft surface book I am using.

4. Michael says:

Didn’t work on my Surface Pro 4

Error when loading CalibG4.exe

Failed to init transport, status=11
    FAIL

5. cniemeyer says:

It works on my Surface Pro 4, however executable from the link above did not run because it is missing a DLL. You can get another version directly from Microsoft as a hotfix: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3165497/surface-pro-4-or-surface-book-experiences-phantom-touch-input-on-the-s

Just click Hotfix Download Available at the top and give a valid email address, this link (https://hotfixv4.trafficmanager.net/Surface%20Pro%203/latest/KB3165497/1/free/491758_intl_x64_zip.exe) will be sent to you. You can use it directly if you don’t want to be bothered with giving your email to Microsoft

6. cniemeyer says:

7. SUZANNE METELKO says:

It worked! Thank you.

8. Steve Iversen says:

Greetings,
    Thank you very much for sharing this information and helping solving this problem.
    I really appreciate it.
    Kind regards,
    Steve I

9. Steve Iversen says:

Greetings,
    I really appreciate it.
    Kind regards,
    Steve I

10. Steven Iversen says:

Thank you very much!!
    Steve I

11. Andrea Cravotta says:

GREAT! I was ready to buy a new surface pro, since I really need the touch capabilities of the device. But now, with your help, everything works fine! It means that I’ll have to find anothere excuse do buy the new model 😉 thank you!

12. Eric says:

Wow and thanks to author Ian Dixon and Commenter cniemeyer, what a difference/improvement! I had the missing DLL also, but all is good now!

13. Gleb V says:

Thanks a lot, helped me too 🙂
    couldn’t get any help on microsoft website

14. Mason says:

Hi, I clicked the link to this and it took me to the homepage for software support. Does this fix still exist?

15. Grégory Makles says:

Thanks a lot to cniemeyer for the updated links and to OP for the solution. It works and it’s so good to have it working again!

16. James McConville says:

YOU GUYS ARE SO AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Everything I tried hadn’t worked. I was so discouraged and ready to give up. I felt like I explored every link, video, support, etc. and then I came across this site kind of randomly and was basically in the mindset of this is really the last hope. If this doesn’t work, nothing will. I was so defeated to see that the link for the sony support basically brought me to the same site where it seems the link for the firmware update or calibration tool I needed was missing, but the supplementary link provided by Commenter worked! My screen is back! I was ready to give up and accept that I had lost touch screen functionality but it was such a quick and easy fix. In fact, the fix was so simple I was pretty skeptical about it actually working (it only took a minute or two and when the process was done, it was so fast and simple, I’m like, there’s no way that worked. BUT IT DID!!!! WOW!!! A HUGE thank you to author/OP Ian Dixon and Commenter cniemeyer, you guys are the best!!!!! Saved my laptop!
    HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!

17. Jean-Daniel Gasser says:

Thank you !
    Worked for me too !
    Thank you very much for providing a download link

18. Connor Seeman says:

Worked like magic. Just clicked the link and ran the tool and everything was immediately fixed on my Surface Pro.
    Thank you!!

19. Paul says:

Michael, I had to use 7zip to unpack the hitfix file, and run it from the unpacked folder.

Having said that, this fix still does not work for me. 🙁

How can Micro$soft sell a $2500 piece of buggy crap and not get sued? Where are the class action people?

20. Abdel says: