Microsoft has released new builds of Windows 11 for Windows Insiders on the beta channel. KB5023775 takes the builds to 22621.1465 (no features) and Build 22624.1465 (with features).
There are a handfull of new features, most of which have been tested on the dev channel.
The new features in the build are more languages for the live captions feature:
Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), Spanish and other English dialects.
The other new feature which has been tested on the dev channel for the last few weeks are new touch keyboard options:
- “Never” suppresses the touch keyboard even when no hardware keyboard is attached.
- “When no keyboard attached” will show the touch keyboard only when the device is used as a tablet without the hardware keyboard.
- “Always” will show the touch keyboard even when the hardware keyboard is attached.
Here are the other changes and known issues with the builds:
Changes and Improvements in 22624.1465
[Taskbar & System Tray]
- We have added a glanceable VPN status into the system tray when connected to a recognized VPN profile. The VPN icon, a small shield, will be overlayed in your system accent color over the active network connection.
Glanceable VPN status in the system tray using system accent color.
- The redesigned in-app help page in voice access introduced with Build 22624.1391 now includes all commands and the supplementary information accurately.
Redesigned in-app help page in voice access.
Fixes for BOTH Build 22621.1465 & Build 22624.1465
- This update implements phase three of Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) hardening. See KB5004442. After you install this update, you cannot turn off the changes using the registry key.
- This update addresses an issue that affects a computer account and Active Directory. When you reuse an existing computer account to join an Active Directory domain, joining fails. This occurs on devices that have installed Windows updates dated October 11, 2022 or later. The error message is, “Error 0xaac (2732): NERR_AccountReuseBlockedByPolicy: ‘An account with the same name exists in Active Directory. Re-using the account was blocked by security policy.'” For more information, see KB5020276.
- On ARM64 devices, enhanced speech recognition support installed through the Language & Region settings page will require restarting live captions if you switch languages in the live captions Caption language menu.
- Live captions for Chinese Traditional currently does not work on Arm64 devices.
- Certain languages shown on the Language & Region settings page will indicate speech recognition support (e.g., Korean) but don’t yet have support for live captions.
- When adding a language through the Language & Region settings page, language feature installation progress may become hidden, and you may not see install completion of “Enhanced speech recognition” (required by Live Captions). (You can use the language’s “Language options” to monitor progress.) If this happens, there may be an unexpected delay before the live caption setup experience detects this and lets you continue.
- Captioning performance may be degraded in non-English languages and missing out-of-language filtering in non-English (United States) languages which means that incorrect captions will be shown for speech not in the caption language.