Microsoft have released the March update for the Surface Duo. The update is available now for unlocked devices comes in at 82.39MB. Microsoft haven’t posted the release notes yet I expect to include the March 2021 Android security updates and performance / stability improvements.
Since applying the update, I have noticed that in single screen mode screenshot now only captures the active screen and the swipe away bug in single screen mode has been fixed. Hopefully, I will find more as I use the device.
I really enjoy using Surface Duo and with each update the performance gets better. The device has come a long way from the original buggy launch and I don’t hit any major issues. While it has hardware issues like lack of NFC, I still prefer using it to any of my other devices.
Here is Microsoft’s change log
Addresses scenarios outlined in the Android Security Bulletin – March 2020.
- Improves device stability.
- Improves device performance.
- Improves Surface Duo UI stability.
- Improves incoming ring experience with the communication apps.
- Fixes the experience when dismissing apps in single screen mode which had a delay before showing the home screen.
- Taking screenshots in single screen mode captures the active screen instead of both.
- Increases time that the “Double-tap to switch screens” is available to change screens.
- Fixes the ability to unlock the device using the fingerprint reader when an app is running above the lock screen.
Apps that only support portrait orientation can now rotate clockwise when spanning across both screens.
UPDATE: Here is my hands on video