Microsoft have relieved the name of the next generation Xbox. The new console will be called the Xbox Series X with the series part of the name may be an indication that more than once device is on the way.
The Xbox Series X is set to launch next year ready for Christmas 2020. The design looks more a PC tower than a traditional games console and can be set in vertical and horizontal orientation. The controller has also have a re-design with a new share button and d-pad derived from the Xbox Elite Controller.
Microsoft also announced some of the specifications of the Xbox Series X:
- 4K at 60FPS, with possibility of up to 120FPS
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), and 8K capability
- Custom-designed processor leveraging the latest Zen 2 and next generation RDNA architecture from AMD
- Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and giving developers new functionality like Dynamic Latency Input (DLI)
- Backword compatibly with Xbox One
Unlike the launch of the Xbox One Microsoft are focusing on gaming and currently not talking about the media capabilities of the new Xbox.