When visiting Portugal, you simply cannot miss visiting the happening city of Porto. This is one of the most important cities in Portugal. This name Portugal is derived from the name of the city. By visiting Porto you can witness some of the best places in the world. The best thing to do is discover Porto with local guides
as they can show you the top places around the city. However, for your knowledge, we have listed some of the best places that you should visit while in Porto.
Best Places to Visit in Porto
Here is the list of some of the best places that are a must-visit in the city of Porto:
- Aliados Avenue: The AliadosAvenue happens to be the heart of the city of Porto. The place is surrounded by beautiful buildings including the city hall of the Porto city. If you can manage some time and go towards Riberia and take a little detour to Sao Bento train station you can enjoy the stunning glazes tiles.
- Rua de Santa Catarina: This is one of the most commercial places in Porto. The place is always crowded with the locals who come here to shop. You can find plenty of footwear and clothing shops around the place. Apart from that, you can also witness many street artist performers. From singers to mimes, the place is filled with such artistic people. If you are fond of art and culture, you wouldn’t want to miss visiting this place. One of the main attractions of the place is the popular café called Café Majestic. This is one of the most exquisite and beautiful cafes that you will ever visit. Here you can enjoy an excellent menu served by them. Other than that there are other popular spots as well including Catarina shopping center and Capela das Almas, an amazing chapel.
- Lello Bookshop:If you are a booklover, you simply cannot miss visiting this amazingly beautiful bookshop in the city. In fact, this bookshop is considered to be the most beautiful bookshop in the whole world. This place is nothing less than a paradise for all the book lovers. The bookshop is inspired by the famous movie series Harry Potter. Apart from the books, you can also enjoy the pleasant ambiance of the store. One of the highlighted features of the bookshop is its majestic staircase. There is also a small bar on the first floor of the store where you can enjoy a cup of hot coffee while reading a book.
- Bolhao Market: One of the must-visit places in Porto is the Bolhao Market. This is where you will get to meet the friendliest and most welcoming people in the city. The place was built back in the year 1914 in order to gather the merchants so that they have a place to sell their stuff. The place may be an old one but it definitely worth visiting. From fresh flowers to vegetables, you can find it all out here in the market. Visiting this place can be a good experience for you.
- Galerias Paris:If you want to witness the nightlife in Porto then this is the place to be. this is an ideal place for the ones who want to have some fun, listen to good music and drink their night way. The place is quite popular among the locals and usually stays crowded by them. Some of the discos and bars that are worth mentioning include La Boheme, Plano B,andMoreclub.
- Clerigos Tower:This is one of the most iconic buildings to be visited in the city of Porto. This is also the tallest building in the city. It is 76 meters tall and was constructed between 1754 and 1763. The building is amazingly beautiful and is quite popular among the visitors. The building has served as a lighthouse to ships for several years now. The building offers you the highest view of the city.
- Palacia da Bolsa:This is perhaps the most beautiful monument in the whole city. The monument was built in the year 1862. The building reflects the architecture of the neoclassical age and is breathtakingly beautiful. The beauty of the building is something that you simply cannot ignore.
- St. Francis Church: This beautiful church was built in the 14th century. This undoubtedly one of the most beautiful churches in the whole city of Porto. The church is mainly popular for its gilded wood interior. Visitors should know that the interiors of the church are made with 500kg of real gold. The amazing beauty of the church is surely going to astonish you. Given the beauty of the church, this place should definitely be on your list of must-visit places in Porto.
- Port Wine Cellars: If you are a sucker for wine then visiting this place is a must for you. There are over 50 wine cellars located on the other side of the Douro River. To be more precise, the wine cellars are located 100 km away from Douro Valley. The wine is transported all the way to Porto where it is aged to perfection. You can visit numerous wine cellars at this place and also get to taste some of the best wines here.
- Palacio de Cristal Gardens: This is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Porto. The beautiful green garden has a wide variety of plants and flowers to amaze you. If you wish to witness a stunning green view in the city then this is the place to be. You can take a nice walk here and spend some quality time with your family.
So these are some of the best places to visit in Porto and make your holiday trip a memorable one. If you can’t visit all the mentioned places because of lack of time, at least you should cover some of them.