Microsoft have another Redstone 5 / October 2018 update for Windows Insiders to test. The new build is 17758 and has multiple fixes with just the one known issue. The update is due next month so there are no new features as Microsoft focus fixing the last bugs.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- The build watermark at the lower right-hand corner of the desktop is no longer present in this build. This does not mean this is the final build as we are not done yet. We’re just now beginning the phase of checking in final code to prepare for the final release.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the back button in Settings and other apps becoming white text on a white background if you hovered over it.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Narrator not reading selected word choices when typing using an IME (for example, in Japanese).
- We fixed an issue resulting in certain apps crashing when you tried to save a file from the app.
- We fixed an issue resulting in explorer.exe crashing recently when clicking on the “Import photos and videos” option from an autoplay notification.
- We fixed an issue resulting in nearby sharing not working for local accounts where the account name contained certain Chinese, Japanese, or Korean characters.
- [UPDATED] We fixed several bugs causing text clipping issues when you use “Make text bigger” setting in Ease of Access.
- Narrator sometimes does not read in the Settings app when you navigate using Tab and arrow keys. Try switching to Narrator Scan mode temporarily. And when you turn Scan mode off again, Narrator will now read when you navigate using Tab and arrows key. Alternatively, you can restart Narrator to work around this issue.
Ian Dixon is a Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional), founder of TheDigitalLifestyle.com tech site and producer of the weekly The Digital Lifestyle Show podcast. Ian has been writing and talking about Windows for over 10 years and has over 20 years in IT as an IT Manager. Ian has thousands of followers on Twitter and Facebook and over 4 million views on his YouTube channel.