The Raspberry Pi foundation has launched a new more powerful Raspberry Pi. The new Pi 3B+ is an evolution of the Raspberry Pi that has a more powerful processor, dual band wifi and Bluetooth, faster Ethernet, power over Ethernet support and improved thermal management. The new Pi costs the same price £29.19, and it will be be great for Windows 10 IoT projects.
Last year I built a heating control system using Windows 10 running on a Raspberry Pi and the performance boost will be a welcome improvement.
Here are the specs of the new board:
- A 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
- Dual-band 802.11ac wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.2
- Faster Ethernet (Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0)
- Power-over-Ethernet support (with separate PoE HAT)
- Improved PXE network and USB mass-storage booting
- Improved thermal management
More details on the Raspberry Pi blog.
Ian Dixon is a Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional), founder of TheDigitalLifestyle.com tech site and producer of the weekly The Digital Lifestyle Show podcast. Ian has been writing and talking about Windows for over 10 years and has over 20 years in IT as an IT Manager. Ian has thousands of followers on Twitter and Facebook and over 4 million views on his YouTube channel.