Apple have updated the iPad and iPhone podcast app. Apple don’t update that often but this update brings a lot of new features. The app has improved episode browsing with an unplayed tab, saving of episodes for offline playback, automatic deletions of played shows. The app now supports CarPlay, you can share podcast links via AirDrop and there is Siri integration so you can ask Siri to play a podcast.
The app is available in the iTunes Store.
What’s New in Version 2.1
This update includes several improvements that make playing your favourite podcasts even easier:
Improved Episode Browsing
• Quickly find episodes you haven’t listened to in the new Unplayed tab
• Browse episodes that are available to download or stream in the Feed tab
• Save your favourite episodes to keep them offline
• Episodes can now be automatically deleted after you play them
• Tap on links that appear in podcast and episode descriptions to open them in Safari
• You can now ask Siri to play podcast episodes by simply saying “play podcasts”
• To play specific podcasts or stations, just ask Siri to play them by name, like “play TEDTalks”
• Please note that Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas.
• Podcasts now supports CarPlay
• Start playing a station from the stations list — just tap the Play button next to the station name
• Share links to your favourite podcasts using AirDrop
This update also resolves playback issues after syncing with iTunes and improves stability while downloading podcasts.