Cyberlink’s PowerDVD Mobile for Windows 8 was launched last year and is a very useful multi-purpose media app for Windows 8 and Windows RT, the app has just been updated changing the name to Power Media Player. It makes sense that Cyberlink have dropped the PowerDVD name as it pretty unlikely that anyone uses the tablet app to watch a DVD, Cyberlink have also renamed the Android version of the app and I wonder if the next version of the desktop PowerDVD software will also be renamed.
The updated Windows version adds support for Cyberlink’s cloud storage service so you can download/stream media from Cyberlink Drive and it also supports wireless upload of the Windows tablet camera roll to CyberLink’s cloud drive.
The app is free from the Windows Store but has advertising in it, PowerDVD Live / PowerDVD Ultra owners can activate the app to remove the adverts.
• Adds support for CyberLink Drive cloud storage service
• Supports wireless upload of tablet camera roll to CyberLink Drive cloud service
• PowerDVD Mobile supports both Windows 8 and Windows RT tablets and PCs
• Added text-based subtitle support, including SubRip (*.SRT), PowerDivX (*.PSB), MicroDVD (*.SUB), SunViewer (*.SUB), SubStation Alpha (*.SSA, *.ASS), and SAMI (*.SMI)
• Added DLNA DMC functionality
• Added gesture-controlled video zoom-in/out
• Added live tile support
• Added content searching via Windows 8 Charm bar
• Added swipe-controlled Next/Previous video during playback
• Added “Repeat one” feature for music playback
• Added more folder view styles
• General performance improvements and usability enhancements
• Support of multiple audio tracks MKV/MP4 file
• Choose YouTube video playback resolution
• Support Semantic Zoom touch-optimized technique
• Support of Windows 8.1