Microsoft have updated most of its built in Windows apps ahead of the Windows 8.1 rollout today. Most of the app updates are minor but the video app has performance improvements, improved search results and Play To support for person videos:
Key updates include:
Improved background downloading
Additional snap window sizes
Easy access to in-app search box
Visually enhanced search results
Support for video files on SD cards
Play To support for personal videos
Updated live tiles.
Search improvements let you refine results for the type of programme you’re looking for.
Additional minor fixes.
The Music app has an improved UI amongst its updates:
Key updates include:
A brand new user experience makes it easier and more fun to find music in your collection, listen to radio, and explore the Xbox Music catalogue
Search is always accessible – just start typing! A new way of showing results makes it easier to find what you’re looking for
Pause and play with a single tap from the new always-visible playback controls
Snap the app and have fun multi-tasking while you listen
For quick access, find your playlists the now playing list in the left-hand menu
Use the Share Charm in Windows 8.1 to share any webpage to Xbox Music – we’ll look for music on it and make you a playlist
Manage what shows up in your in your Windows music library, directly in the app
Perf improvements make it faster to start the app and get to your collection
The Mail app has quiet an overhaul:
What’s new in Mail
• See all messages from your favourite people in one place.
• See a more organised Outlook.com inbox with social updates and newsletters filed away automatically.
• Use Sweep to clean up your Outlook.com inbox.
• Delete, flag and mark messages from the message list.
• Drag and drop messages into folders.
• Select multiple messages at once with checkboxes.
• Write new messages without leaving your inbox.
• Open a message, draft or attachment in a separate window.
• Search across all emails in all folders.
• Create automatic replies for when you’re away.
• Choose the default font and colour for new messages.
• Get info about any sender by tapping on their name.
What’s new in Calendar
• Check your agenda, and personalise the What’s Next view with your own background picture.
• Add events quickly by typing directly into Week view.
• Jump to a different date with the new date picker.
• Edit your responses to invitations before sending them.
What’s new in People
• Search and browse for contacts more quickly.
• View, edit and link contacts more easily.
• Add a custom picture for a contact
Here is the full list of updated apps:
- Mail, Calendar and People
- Sound Recorder
- Heath and Fitness
- Reading list
- Bing Food