Last year the BBC launched a Radio app for iOS that enabled streaming of live and on-demand iPlayer radio content to an iPhone or iPad. Today an Android version has release that has all the features of the iOS version and some new features.
The UI has a really nice rotating dial for selecting live BBC radio stations including local radio and has on-demand shows from the last 7 days. There are also hundreds of podcasts that you can stream plus some nice features like what track is currently playing, programme reminders, wake up alarms and video clips.
Under the covers the apps uses HTTP Live streaming which means the app needs ICS or Jelly Bean as a minimum, the app is free and available now from the Google Play Store.
– Take BBC Radio with you wherever you go
– Listen to live radio from all the BBC’s UK radio stations over Wi-Fi and mobile networks
– Quickly switch between stations with a simple radio tuner dial
– See what’s on-air across all stations via the Full Programme Guide
– Listen to on-demand programmes from the past 7 days
– See the currently playing track on music stations
– Find out what music and guests featured in on-demand programmes
– Set an alarm to wake up to your favourite station
– Set alerts for upcoming programmes
– Watch video clips including music sessions
– Find hundreds of BBC Podcasts to listen to
– Browse programmes by Schedule, Category, Featured and Most Popular
– Listen in the background or in standby, with quick access to what’s playing via the notifications panel