The BBC have launched a new BBC Sport app for Android. The app has the latest news from BBC Sport, live text commentaries, live video streaming and sharing options. The video features require the BBC Media Player app.
In a post on the BBC internet blog the development team say that they have focused on Android and iOS apps because these platforms account for around 75% of the smartphone market so in other words don’t expect a Windows Phone or Windows Store version soon.
In the description on the Google Play store it says that the app is available for Android 2.2 and above and on device that are 7 inches or smaller but I tested it on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and it worked fine.
The official BBC Sport app is the sports fan’s guide to live sport news, video highlights, scores stats, fixtures and results, curated by the BBC’s team of sport journalists.
– Home screen displaying the top stories across the world of sport.
– Live and on demand video and audio
– A page for Football, Formula 1, Cricket, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Tennis, Golf
– A page for all the other main sports, UK nations, plus major events
– Daily live text commentaries from BBC journalists
– Detailed football live scores, match stats and text commentaries
– A full season’s football fixtures and results searchable by day
– Football tables
– Pages for football team and league news
– Share stories and results by email and on social networks
– Links to the BBC mobile site for stats pages for other sports. These will become available in the app in a future release
– The BBC will be adding new features to the app and will notify you when they become available in Google Play.
A 3G or Wifi connection is required in order to access content.
The BBC Sport app is available for Android 2.2 and above and on devices that are 7 inches or smaller.