Microsoft have released preview 3 of the Windows Phone app for the desktop. The Windows 7 and Windows 8 app enables syncing of content with a Windows Phone (including syncing podcasts from iTunes). Microsoft see it as a replacement for the Zune desktop software as the Zune app will not sync with Windows Phone 8 but it’s a little basic compared to the slick Zune software.
The Windows Phone app for Windows desktop makes it easy to:
• Sync music, photos, movies, TV shows, and podcasts from your existing Apple iTunes library or your Windows Libraries to your Windows Phone 8.*
• Automatically import pictures and videos you’ve taken with your phone to your PC.
• See at a glance how much space you’re using for each type of content, so it’s easy to make sure you never run out of room on your phone.
• Get your playlists on your phone.
• Find songs that will work as ringtones and add them to your phone.
Ian Dixon is a Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional), founder of TheDigitalLifestyle.com tech site and producer of the weekly The Digital Lifestyle Show podcast. Ian has been writing and talking about Windows for over 10 years and has over 20 years in IT as an IT Manager. Ian has thousands of followers on Twitter and Facebook and over 4 million views on his YouTube channel.