The BBC have announced a dedicated sports app or iOS. The app has content from the BBC Sport web site as well as well as being able to create links for you favourite sport with video and more interactive content coming soon.
In a post on the iPlayer blog the BBC say an Android version is coming soon, hopefully they can have it released in time for the F1 season which starts in March.
– Home screen displaying the top stories across the world of sport.
– A page for Football, Formula 1, Cricket, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Tennis, Golf
– A page for all the other main sports, UK nations, plus major events
– Daily live text commentaries from BBC journalists
– Detailed football live scores, match stats and text commentaries
– A full season’s football fixtures and results searchable by day
– Football tables
– Customise the app with quick links to your favourite sport
– Share stories and results by email and on social networks
– Links to the BBC mobile site for stats pages for other sports, football team and league news. These will become available in the app in a future release
– The BBC will be adding new features to the app and will notify you when they become available in the app store.
Download from the iTunes App Store.
The Sport app allows you to create quick links to your favourite sports using the standard native iOS pattern for adding, removing and re-ordering. We deliberately set out to use patterns that users recognise from others apps and we’ll continue to do this in the other native features we’ll add to the app over the next year or so.
The Android version still needs some more development work and testing to ensure it works on the wide range of Android devices available and will be live in the next few weeks.
You may notice that some of the links in the app such as the football team pages, stats for other sports and other sport indexes open the old BBC Sport mobile site. The next phase of the app project will update these pages and add this content fully to the app and add football teams to the quick link options.
These updates will be released in the next couple of months