Microsoft released the Windows Phone app in the Windows Store which works on Windows RT and Windows 8 and they have just released a beta of a desktop Windows Phone app. The app works with Windows 7 and Windows 8 (not RT, for that you need the store version) and Windows Phone 8.
With the app you can sync music, photos, movies, TV shows and podcasts from your Windows Libraries or iTunes. It will also automatically import pictures and videos and like the store version will show available space on the phone.
One thing to note is that with Windows Phone 8 you don’t need any apps to move data between the phone and Windows as it mounts as removable storage in Windows.
The Windows Phone app for Windows desktop makes it easy to:
• Sync music, photos, movies, TV shows, and podcasts from your existing Apple iTunes library or your Windows Libraries to your Windows Phone 8.*
• Automatically import pictures and videos you’ve taken with your phone to your PC.
• See at a glance how much space you’re using for each type of content, so it’s easy to make sure you never run out of room on your phone.
• Find songs that will work as ringtones and add them to your phone.
To install the Windows Phone app for desktop, you’ll need:
• A PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8
• Windows Phone 8