For the last few years my podcasting kit has shrunk from a Tablet PC and big mic rig down to a portable audio recorder but with iRig’s MIC Cast I could maybe just use my iPhone. While you can record audio on the iPhone I find that the mic is not that good so iRig’s external rig looks like it could do the trick. The £29.99 device plugs into the headphone jack on the iPhone and comes with a desktop stand and has a headphone jack so you can monitor the output. There are also two free apps for the iRig, a voice recording/editing app and a live vocal processing app. The iRig MIC Cast is shipping now and I will be putting one through its paces soon so look out for a review.
iRig MIC Cast provides a pocket-sized voice recording solution with crystal-clear aural quality thanks to its tight pickup pattern that minimizes background sounds so that you can capture the audio you want while cancelling out extraneous noise. The unidirectional condenser capsule isolates the intended audio source, yielding dramatically better results than an integrated microphone. Uses include:
- Capturing interviews and presentations for Podcasts
- Transmitting a clear audio signal on FaceTime®, Skype™ videoconferences
- Recording notes, meetings, speeches, and lectures
- Creating videos with greater intelligibility and an improved audio track
- Documenting your own recitals and performances — or for concerts
The iRig MIC Cast also features a dual gain setting that provides two different sensitivity settings for either close-up or distant sources. So, whether you are recording a one-on-one interview or a class in a lecture hall – the iRig MIC Cast can be adjusted to accommodate the situation. Users can have confidence in what is being recorded, via a stereo mini-jack headphone output that enables real-time monitoring.
The iRig MIC Cast is literally about the size of a large coin and its bumper-friendly jack makes it possible to plug in — even if your iPhone, iPod touch, iPad is in a protective case. It can easily fit in your pocket, briefcase or computer bag for easy transport.
The included tabletop stand makes it possible to set up your iPhone or iPod touch so that users have a clear view of the screen and so the camera can “see” the user for FaceTime or Skype meetings. For recording, simply place the stand wherever convenient for hands free operation.
As with other IK Multimedia microphones, two free apps are available for the iRig MIC Cast: iRig Recorder, an easy-to-use voice recording/editing app, and VocaLive, a multi-effects processing app for singers.
iRig MIC Cast Features:
- Stereo mini-jack headphone output which enables real-time monitoring of what is being recorded using headphones or speakers
- Includes an adjustable desktop stand for convenient iPhone/iPod touch positioning during recording
- Incredibly flat frequency response with zero tonal coloration
- Ultra-compact profile that can be carried anywhere with ease
- Has a bumper-friendly mini-jack connector that fits the majority of iPhone/iPod touch cases
- Works also with all regular phone calls and any Voice-Over-IP app
Pricing and availability
iRig MIC Cast costs €29.99 (ex. VAT) and is available from electronic and music retailers around the world.
For more information on iRig MIC Cast: