Microsoft has released a preview of the updated Photos app for Windows 11. Windows Insiders on the Canary and Dev Channels can try out the updated photo app which includes new features and improvements. You will need version 2023.11050.2013.0 or higher to try out the new features.
The updated photos app has a new slideshow feature where you can view your photos with transition, animations and 25 tracks of original music. Just click on a photo and then the Slideshow button to kick it off. It’s good to see this feature being added to the app as it was one of the top requested features from Windows Insiders.
This update sees the return of the timeline scrollbar where the photos are grouped by year and month and then you can jump directly to the photo you want.
You can now fix up your photos with the new Spot Fix feature. You click on the spot you want re-touching and it will remove the mark from the photo.
Here are the other changes to the app:
- Auto Enhance is now available for use without having to install the 93MB add-on.
- When importing photos from external devices, you can now drag and drop to choose the photos you want and use the quick toggle to confirm the files that have been selected.
- Hidden iCloud Photos will no longer display in the gallery.
- Fixed an issue where audio on video files is muted by default. The app now plays the audio by default and persists user settings across videos.
- Copying and pasting a photo from the Photos app into Outlook and Teams now inserts the image inline by default instead of adding an attachment.
- Multi-select photos: hold down the SHIFT key while selecting photos in the gallery now selects multiple consecutive photos in a row; holding down the CTRL key selects multiple non-consecutive photos.