Microsoft has released a new build of Windows 11 for Windows Insiders on the Dev Channel. Build 23451 has a new modern detail page in File Explorer, new widgets and changes to the Start Menu.
There is a new modern details panel in File Explorer which shows recent activity and file details:
The build has a couple of different treatments to Windows Spotlight. One has the icon and one has a fuller, more details UI. As Microsoft are A/B testing the new UI you could have either version.
There is a new Facebook widget available and a new widget picker:
Another change is a with notifications on the start menu, something that Microsoft have been experimenting with for a while now:
There is a new animation for widgets on the task bar:
Here are the fixes and known issues in the build:
[Taskbar & System Tray]
- Fixed an explorer.exe crash impacting taskbar reliability.
- Fixed an issue that was causing Quick Settings and its project options to sometimes not respond when using ALT + F4 to close them.
- Fixed an issue that was causing the Recommended section in Start to be blank the first time it was opened.
We fixed the following issues for Insiders previewing the Windows App SDK version of File Explorer
- We fixed an underlying issue believed to be the cause of explorer.exe crashing when opening the context menu in the previous flight for some Insiders.
- If you use an Arabic or Hebrew display language, the tabs should be displaying correctly now.
We fixed the following issues for Insiders with Gallery in File Explorer:
- Fixed an issue where the scrollbar for Gallery was displaying on the wrong side for Insiders with an Arabic or Hebrew display language.
- If you have the Item Check Boxes setting enabled, the Gallery will now show check boxes on images.
- Did some work to fix an underlying issue which could cause Search to get stuck and not open. When this happened, you might also see a delay opening the Start menu.
- Fixed an issue where the Pinyin IME’s insert text button wasn’t displaying correctly in some cases.
- Fixed an underlying crash impacting the ability to launch the touch keyboard / PIN entry on the login screen.
- Fixed another 2FA code pattern which wasn’t being recognized. If you see any others, please file feedback!
- Fixed an issue where caption characters shown in the second line of the default height window were getting clipped on top.
- Features have been added to the enhanced speech recognition language files to improve performance and provide out-of-language filtering meant to limit the incorrect captions for speech not in the caption language.
- Fixed an issue where using the down key while navigating by landmark with Narrator in Edge wasn’t jumping to the first line of the landmark correctly.
NOTE: Some fixes noted here in Insider Preview builds from the Dev Channel may make their way into the servicing updates for the released version of Windows 11.
[Search on the Taskbar]
- There is an issue where some people may not see the search box on the taskbar and/or the settings to adjust the search box experience on the taskbar after updating to Build 23403. We are aware of the issue, and we are working on a fix.
- [NEW] When you open the search flyout you may see the content flicker before the content finishes loading.
- [NEW] Narrator customers may not be able to navigate down the left side panel of the search flyout.
- [NEW] Text scaling may not work in the search flyout.
Insiders who have Gallery in File Explorer will see the following issues:
- Gallery may require clicking twice on the node in the navigation pane for initial load.
- Live updates (including filtering) are currently disabled and require using the Refresh button as a workaround.
- Thumbnail loading performance for dehydrated cloud files and memory usage in large collections are known issues we are focused on improving. Please capture Performance traces in Feedback Hub for any performance-related issues. Rebuilding your Indexer can help if thumbnails are missing for cloud files; Search for “Indexing Options” and look in Advanced settings to find the rebuild tool.
- Photos from OneDrive for Business currently must be hydrated to work properly.
- Some file types (e.g., HEIC) might not be rendered correctly or performantly.
Insiders who have access keys in File Explorer will see the following issues:
- Access keys will appear inconsistently if no button is pressed. Pressing a button will cause them to reappear.
Insiders will have issues with the following commands on recommended files in File Explorer:
- Clicking on the Share command will currently bring up the Windows share sheet (non-OneDrive).