Microsoft has released new builds of Windows 11 for Windows Insiders on the beta channel. KB5020054 takes the build to 22621.885 or 22623.885, with the lower build having features switched off and the higher build picking up new features. If you are on the beta channel and on the lower build you can switch to the higher build number via Windows Update.
This build gives you access to Windows Studio effects via Quick Settings if your device has a NPU (Neural Processing Unit), which I think are devices like the Surface Pro X with the ARM processor. Giving you access to camera effects and things like eye contact settings.
Another new feature is Energy Recommendations, which shows you recommendations to improve energy efficiency. As ever Microsoft are slowly releasing this feature so it may not show up in your build just yet. Also, in these builds Microsoft are adding an expanded view in widgets so you can have the full screen view of widgets.
Here are the other changes and known issues with the builds:
Changes and Improvements in Build 22623.885
- This build includes support to rearrange icons in the hidden icons flyout in the system tray that began rolling out with Build 22623.746.
- We are introducing the new Tamil Anjal keyboard for the Tamil language. To add it, make sure Tamil (Singapore), Tamil (Malaysia), Tamil (Sri Lanka), or Tamil (India) is listed under Settings > Time & Language > Language & Region, and then click the “…” next to the language, select Language Options, and add Tamil Anjal (QWERTY) to the list of keyboards.
- This build includes support for the use of clipboard history (WIN + V) on password fields.
- Switched the touch keyboard icon option under Settings > Personalization > Taskbar from being a toggle to now being a dropdown where you can select Never, Always, or When no keyboard attached.
Fixes in Build 22623.885
[Taskbar & System Tray]
- Fixed a few explorer.exe crashes related to the recent taskbar and system tray work.
- The pin/unpin visual will now display when dragging system tray icons to any position along the system tray, and not only when hovering over the show hidden icons button.
- Fixed the issue where certain chat apps (that supported it) weren’t flashing with new messages or opening a preview on hover in the system tray.
- The show hidden icons flyout in the system tray should now responsively resize with changes again to prevent empty spaces and columns.
- Fixed an issue that could result in the show hidden icons flyout appearing disconnected from the taskbar in certain cases.
- Fixed an issue that was causing the volume icon in the system tray to incorrectly show as muted.
- Fixed an issue where invoking the context menu for items in the system tray might not put the context menu in the foreground and it would get stuck behind the taskbar.
- Did some work to help improve the performance of deleting files via File Explorer (when emptying the recycle bin or using Shift + Delete) in the case where there are a large number of files being deleted at once.
Fixes for BOTH Build 22621.885 & Build 22623.885
- We fixed an issue that affects some modern applications. It stops them from opening.
- We’re looking into reports that audio stopped working for some Insiders in recent Beta Channel builds.
[Taskbar & System Tray]
- The taskbar sometimes flashes when transitioning between desktop posture and tablet posture.
- The taskbar takes longer than expected to transition to the touch-optimized version when switching between desktop posture and tablet posture.
- When using the bottom right edge gesture to see Quick Settings, the taskbar sometimes stays stuck in the expanded state, instead of dismissing to collapsed state.