Still no news on the updated VLC app for Windows 8 but we do have an updated to iOS VLC app. Version 2.2.1 adds native support for 64bit iOS devices like the iPad Air and the iPad mini with retina display. The update also improves the reliability of Dropbox streaming, fixes compatibly with XBMC 12 and Twonky UPnP servers and has improved stability on iOS 6.
The app is free and available from the iTunes Store.
What’s New in Version 2.2.1
VLC 2.2.1 brings fixes for the most obvious issues introduced in 2.2.0, and adds native support for 64bit devices like iPhone 5S, iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display.
• Improved reliability for Dropbox streaming
• Added option to adapt network caching
• Compatibility fixes for multiple UPnP servers (notably Twonky 7, Serviio 1.4, XBMC 12)
• Fixed an issue where always the same file in a UPnP folder was played
• Fixed a ftp streaming issue from connected servers if file name contains non-ASCII characters or the path contains spaces
• Improved stability on iOS 6