Cyberlink have released PowerDVD Mobile for the Windows Store. The app which works with Windows RT as well as Windows 8 enables watching movies, viewing photos and listen to music from the metro UI. It enables playback of MPEG 2 and MKV files something that is not possible in Windows RT and to get MPEG2 playback in Windows 8 you need the Pro Pack with Windows Media Center.
I gave it a try today and I was impressed how well the Surface RT plays HD videos. With the app I was able to play MKV files on my Microsoft Suface RT without any issues. I was also able to play a Windows Media Center Recorded TV file by renaming the WTV file WMV. Also Subtitles are also supported.
As well as the video tools there are photo and music playback features. The music gallery has a great UI, in my opinion it works much better than the default Windows RT music app. The same goes for pictures there is a very good looking picture gallery and you can enhance pictures from the app.
There are two versions of the app in the Windows Store. There is the free PowerDVD Mobile for Ultra which requires a licence key from the PC version of PowerDVD Ultra and there is a £10.99 standalone version which doesn’t require the PC version. While £10.99 is expensive for an app it well worth it if you have a collection of videos in MKV or MPEG 2 format. There is also a 14 trial available for free.
You can find the Ultra version in the Windows Store as well as the standalone version. Checkout my video recorded back at CES 2013:
Thanks to @newfiend01 for the tip
Enjoying multimedia on-the-go has never been so easy. PowerDVD Mobile brings the award-winning features of CyberLink PowerDVD to your mobile device so that you can watch movies, view photos, and listen to music in the best quality, wherever you are!
• Experience the convenience of video, photo & music playback and editing in one integrated app
• Playback MPEG and MKV videos as well as watch videos from Facebook and YouTube
• Enjoy support for all major subtitle formats
• Playback and control DLNA streaming from servers in your home network
• Edit and add cool effects to your photos. Browse them in Calendar View by date they were taken
• Create playlists for your videos, photos & music directly on your mobile device
• Search for library videos, photos, music and YouTube videos using the Charm bar
• PowerDVD Mobile supports both Windows 8 and Windows RT tablets and PCs
One thought on “Cyberlink PowerDVD Mobile for Windows 8/RT released”
As a long time PowerDVD customer, I was really looking forward to this. Unfortunately my mobile license key from PowerDVD Ultra 12 did not work. From the online reviews, it looks like everyone else has had the same problem too.