The XBMC team have released their first ARM based version of XBMC and it runs on the new Apple TV and the iPad. According to XBMC they are not ports or development shots but full installs and source code. Unfortunately you have to jailbreak your device to get it in installed (details here atv2 or ipad/iphone.)
The apps look pretty full featured but only if your happy Jailbreaking your device.
Details from xbmc.org:
This thing may fit in your pocket, but don’t underestimate its power. Unfortunately, it is seriously lacking in capability due to its limited feature-set revolving around rentals and iTunes. Where’s the fun in that?
- Full XBMC install, this is not a remote or thin client streamer.
- No longer is your AppleTV2 chained to iTunes.
- Who wants transcoded video anyway?
- Share files on your network your way.
- Full hardware decode for 720p/1080p movies.
- Everything else you know and love about XBMC.
What good is a tablet that makes you play by its rules? We at XBMC want our media our way.
- You guessed it, this is full-blown XBMC. Not a remote.
- Launch XBMC like any other app.
- Drag and drop media from your computer, or share it on your home-network
- Also fully hardware accelerated for most formats.
- Works on iPhone4, though it’s currently frustrating to use.
- Challenge: Who will be the first to create a gesture-driven skin?
Founder of The Digital Lifestyle.com and host of The Digital Lifestyle Show. Started podcasting in 2005, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP. Lover of gadgets from the Raspberry Pi to the iPad, Android to Windows 8. Also a massive motor racing fan