I have been looking forward to seeing a Media Center Sideshow gadget that will run on my Windows Mobile device since I first saw Sideshow in the first Vista beta and it looks like finally Microsoft have one in development. Eagle eyed Stuart Thailand spotted download on Microsoft’s beta download site and has posted details on how it works, the features and some screen shots. I bet somebody at Microsoft is embarrassed about this leaking out without any PR
The gadget looks very cool, it looks like you can you can control TV, music and pictures. I think I am going to give this a try as its certainly a cheaper option that getting a Ricavision Sideshow remote if you already have a Windows Mobile device.
UPDATE: the Microsoft developer behind the project has a blog
- Browse TV and schedule recordings. Browse the TV program guide, view metadata on upcoming or current shows, and pick shows to watch and record (single showing or series), without interrupting the TV viewing experience.
- Recorded TV. Select a previously recorded program to play back, without interrupting the viewing experience on the TV.
- Play Music. Browse the media library, control music playback on the PC by using the remote control device instead of the primary display, such as a TV.
- Play radio presets. Browse your radio presets and playback that station through your Media Center.
Pictures + Videos
- Browse the picture and video libraries. Make a selection on the remote and that picture or video will be displayed on the TV.
- Provide “now playing” information. The remote control device shows information about the currently playing medium, such as the track title or the time elapsed.